With many Halloween and Bonfire Night celebrations planned for this season, we would like to remind people to keep safe while enjoying the festivities.
Below are some safety tips and guidance on everything from trick or treating, to the use of decorations and costumes.
People can also download Halloween and Bonfire Night safety posters from this page, including ‘no trick or treat callers’ posters to print and display at home if they would like to discourage unexpected visitors.
- Keep clear of all flames such as candles and lit pumpkins, which could cause costumes to catch fire or cause burns
- Be careful how you dress on Halloween. Homemade costumes and some costumes bought in shops can be flammable. Decorations should also be kept away from naked flames
- Plan your trick or treat route beforehand. Only go to houses where you or your friends know the residents. Always go in groups. Don’t go without an adult
- Be cautious about eating what people give you when out trick or treating. Check with an adult when you get home
- Be visible, stay in areas that are well lit with streetlights. Take a torch just in case
- Remember ‘STOP, DROP and ROLL’ if clothing catches fire. STOP where you are. Do not run. DROP to the ground. Lie down flat. ROLL over and over on the ground until flames are out
- Don’t wear masks that restrict your vision. You need to see when crossing roads
- Don’t enter any house when trick or treating, stay on the doorstep
- Don’t knock on doors where you see a ‘No trick or treat callers’ sign
- Avoid using real candles in lanterns and pumpkins. Battery operated lights are safer
- Sparklers are not suitable for children under five. Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves
- Always follow the instructions on fireworks
- Never throw fireworks or put them in your pocket
- Keep a bucket of water handy
- Stand clear of fireworks. Never return to a lit firework
- Light fireworks at arm’s length, using a safety firework lighter or fuse wick
- Position bonfires away from sheds, fences and trees
- Before lighting a bonfire, check the structure is sound and it does not have small children or animals hiding inside it
- Keep pets indoors
- To find out more about the laws governing firework use, please see www.gov.uk/fireworks-the-law
Below we have attached a range of safety posters that can be downloaded for use in homes: